Vital Gas Interviews: DaveTheGasHead
1) Why and when did you become a Gashead?
I've been a Gashead since junior school when a lot of my mates supported Rovers. My first game was at Ashton Gate back when we had Nigel Martyn in goal. I remember him pulling off a number of saves and we won one nil. That was it.
2) What is your best memory being a Rovers fan?
Rickie Lambert scoring against City was priceless - the Memorial Stadium never sounded so good. I was in the Blackthorn End and there were a few moments when it looked like City might go ahead but when Rickie put us one up I knew that was going to be enough.
3) If you could bring back one Rovers player at his best, who would it be?
Rickie Lambert was at his best with us - he thought he could score from anywhere... and he did! Scored some sublime long range goals
4) How do you think John Ward did last season?
John worked wonders - so pleased that he came in when he did. He revamped the spine of the team bringing in Mildenhall, McCrystal, O'Toole and Brunt and gave the team structure and confidence.
5) Best and worst moments of last season?
Best moment - seeing Ellis Harrison score that goal against Rochdale - it had been such a horrible cold day and a poor game and Ellis went on a Mazy run and scored a fantastic goal which brought the game to life.
Worst moment was against Morecombe where it looked like we might get our first win of the season (after Wycombe was called off) and in the space of 5 second half minutes we were 3-0 down, at that moment I knew this wasn't going to be a promotion season.
6) Do you think Mark McGhee was given to much time, not enough time or was it timed just right?
Well hindsight says to was timed just right! I think McGhee didn't know the division and didn't spend enough time on the training pitch. I can't believe he was commuting from Brighton to work here. Ward came in with the contacts and the commitment needed to turn the club around.
7) Its been said only one more player will come in (John Joe O'Toole Maybe) do you think that's enough?
I'd love John Joe to come in. Having Clarkson, Harold, Gill and Kenneth back adds a lot of experience. We're a bit short down the right flank until Danny Woodards comes back but a loan signing would cover that.
8) Any players you would like to see leave Rovers?
Jim Paterson doesn't do anything for me. A lot of goals came from that left flank under McGhee.
9) Favourite current Rovers player?
Danny Woodards - a class above at times. Even looked good as a defensive midfielder when called on.
10) Favourite player of all time?
Stuart Campbell - not the greatest of players but always played with his heart on his sleeve. Wily, bought many a freekick and his distribution from them was always good. I'll never forget that goal against Lincoln City! Apart from Stuey, Ian Holloway and that Steve Elliot, he was f*cking brilliant!
11) What our your expectations for the coming season?
If we sign John Joe - Automatic promotion. If we don't, we'll miss out on the playoffs.
12) Your opinion on Nick Higgs and the board
We're not in debt to anyone aside from the directors and we're getting a shiny new stadium - what's not to like?
13) With the build of the UWE to start soon, what would you like to see added to the design?
A statue of dead robin with 5 bullet wounds
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.