Vital Gas Interviews:Wickwar Gas
2) What is your opinion on the season so far?To be honest I would have been happy with a mid table finish, I thought after a sticky start, especially at home that we would need to update our playing squad. In DC we must trust and whatever he does always seems to be right. Now the season has gone how it has I would be disapointed if we did not sneak into the playoffs. And with last weeks news of the takeover my expectations have risen.
3) Best moment(s) of this season so far?Best moment of the season so far has to be Thursday 18 February when the takeover was announced. On the pitch Oxford away was a personal favorite when Ellis scored the Pen. Our fans were a different class
4) Worst moment(s) of this season so far?Probably when we found out that we had lost the case with Shamesbury. Even now I will not step foot in a Shamesbury store or buy anything from them. On the pitch I think my worse moment was when that mercenary JJ O'Toole scored against us first game of the season. It had to be him!!
5) Do you expect any arrivals before the loan window shuts and IF you could bring in a player or two, who (realistically) would you opt for?I think we will get some players in prior the loan window shutting. I hear Richie Towell maybe a possibility and an attacking midfielder such as him would be great. Personally I think we need another goalkeeper and a left back. We have been lucky so far that Lee Brown has been an ever present and relatively injury free since he joined us. I trust DC to bring in only what is required and whoever fits into the team ethic he has developed.
6) What is your opinion of Darrell Clarke now he has been in charge for nearly two years?I admit I was a big apprehensive when he first took over and the relegation did not help that feeling. But in the week after our relegation he faced up on radio Bristol and told is, in no uncertain terms what had to be changed and he accepted full responsibility. He is an honest man! I never expect him to accept a poor performance. He tells it as it is and is tactically aware (unlike some managers we have base in the past few years. His promotion videos with the fans in the pub told us that he is one of our own. He is not frightened to make a decision and upset people. It will be a sad day when he leaves the football club. He will go onto much bigger and better things no doubt
7) Early days I know, but what is your opinion on Wael Al-Qadi
and Steve Hamer so far?I saw both as they headed towards the Dribuild bar at about 13.40 on Saturday. I immediately shook hands with Wael and thanked him for picking us. I hope that this will be a major coup for us but admit that I am open minded. There is a bit of me that thinks I will wake up and it will all have been a dream. Time will tell, on the onset it seems that Wael appears genuine and will help us achieve what we need to. I hope he sticks with DC and backs him all the way, though I fear at some stage some bigger name will be tasked with the job
8) What do you expect from the new owners and if you could give them one bit of advice what would it be?Simple stick with DC, don't change the quarters and respect the great club we have and help us dream like Irene
9) If you could have one thing from the new owners, what (realistically) would it be?I think Nick made major mistakes with the employment of managers and also spent too much time concentrating on the new ground and let the playing side slip. Saying that he has done the right thing now and I have nothing but respect for the way he has handled himself over the takeover. At heart he is a fan, and I bet he is gutted he could not get us over the line as regards the UWE project.
10) Now Nick Higgs has gone, what is your opinion on his reign as Chairman?
11) Where do you see us in 10 years time?I hope we will be at least in a new home and around the Championship. We may be higher (or even lower). Its too early to say. The ground is paramount to our future. Everything revolves around it. If Wael produces the goods who knows..
12) Favourite current player? has to be Tom Lockyer, in his best position (centre half) he has been outstanding. We are a weaker team without him and I hope he stays at the club
13) Favourite former player/s?only one name Alan Warboys! He was the typical old fashioned centre forward that is the best I have seen, other favourites include David Williams, Olly, Gary Penrice, Gareth Taylor and Big Dev
14) If you were stuck on a desert island with one person who would you most and least like it to be?Rovers linked probably Olly, plenty of fun stories, non rovers Lemmy of Motorhead (RIP), as there would have been plenty of drink, music and women, don't tell the missus.
15) And finally, have you looked where Jordan is on the map?Yes I have. It can be one of the cooler gulf nations. Not really somewhere you would want to holiday. Though if Wael was to offer......
If you would like to take part email me email@example.com